Wednesday, 12 September 2012

US Ambassador To Libya Killed In Attack On Embassy-Graphic Video Attached

Best Blogger Tips

It would be expected that the Libyans will be loyal to US after defeating Gaddafi but the situation is taking a dramatic turn with the US ambassador to Libya been killed in a recent bloody attack. The US ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens, was killed along with three of his staff members in an attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi on Tuesday night by an armed mob angry over a short US-made video mocking Islam’s founding prophet,Click read more to watch the graphic video
White House and Libyan officials said Wednesday. In a statement confirming the four fatalities,  

President Barack Obama said he strongly condemned the killings and had ordered increased security at US diplomatic posts
around the world. It was the first death of a US envoy abroad in more than two decades.
The attack at the compound in Benghazi was far more deadly than administration officials first announced Tuesday night, when US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said one American had been killed and one injured.

Another of those killed was Sean Smith, an information management officer who joined the foreign service 10 years ago, Clinton said in a statement. The State Department did not identify the other two, pending notification of their relatives. Smith, who was a husband and father of two, previously served in Iraq, Canada and the Netherlands.
''This is an attack that should shock the conscience of people of all faiths around the world,’’ Clinton said in a televised statement. ‘‘We condemn in the strongest terms this senseless act of violence, and we send our prayers to the families, friends and colleagues of those we've lost.’’
Clinton described the Benghazi assailants as ‘‘a small and savage group, not the people or government of Libya.’’
Obama’s statement did not disclose details of the attack. Stevens, the ambassador, took up his post in Tripoli in May after having served as an envoy to the Libyan rebels who overthrew Libya’s leader, Moammar Gadhafi, last year.
''While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants,’’ Obama said, calling Stevens ‘‘a courageous and exemplary representative of the United States’’ who had ‘‘selflessly served our country and the Libyan people 'The brave Americans we lost represent the extraordinary service and sacrifices that our civilians make every day around the globe. As we stand united with their families, let us now redouble our own efforts to carry their work forward,’’ the statement said.
The killings threatened to upset US relations with the new Libyan government that took over after the ouster of Gadhafi and sour US public opinion about the prospects of the democratic opening of the Arab Spring.
Stevens, a veteran of US diplomatic missions in Libya, served in Benghazi during the uprising against Gadhafi, and he was widely admired by the Libyan rebels for his support of their struggle.
The news of his death emerged Wednesday after violence spilled over the US consulate in Benghazi and demonstrators stormed the fortified walls of the US Embassy in Cairo.
Few details of the way events unfolded in Benghazi were immediately available, but the killing of the ranking US official in Libya raised questions about the vulnerability of US officials at a time when the profound changes sweeping the Arab world have hardly dispelled the rage against the United States that still smolders in pockets around the region.
Libya’s interim president, Mohammed Magarief, apologized for the attack, describing it as ‘‘cowardly’’ and offering condolences, The Associated Press reported. Speaking to reporters, he said the culprits would be brought to justice and pledged to maintain close relations with the United States.
Tuesday’s violence came on the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and was inspired by Egyptian media reports about a 14-minute trailer for the video, called ‘‘Innocence of Muslims,’’ that was released on the Web. The violence provoked by the video recalled the wave of rage and protest in 2005 that followed the publication of 12 cartoons in a Danish newspaper lampooning the Prophet Muhammad.
at our mission in Benghazi’’ and, as ambassador, ‘‘supported Libya’s transition to democracy.’’
In a message on Twitter, Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abu Shagur of Libya said Wednesday that he condemned ‘‘the cowardly act of attacking the US consulate and the killing of Mr. Stevens and the other diplomats.’’
In Italy, the Corriere della Sera newspaper website showed images of what it said was the US Consulate in Benghazi ablaze with men carrying automatic rifles and waving V-for-victory signs, silhouetted against the burning buildings. One photograph showed a man closely resembling Stevens apparently unconscious, his face seeming to be smudged with smoke and his eyes closed.
Stevens, conversant in Arabic and French, had worked at the State Department since 1991 after a spell as an international trade lawyer in Washington. He taught English as a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco from 1983 to 1985, the State Department website said.
According to the State Department, five US ambassadors had been killed by terrorists before the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi. The most recent was Adolph Dubs, killed after being kidnapped in Afghanistan in 1979. The others were John Gordon Mein, in Guatemala in 1968, Cleo A. Noel Jr., in Sudan in 1973, Rodger P. Davies, in Cyprus in 1974 and Francis E. Meloy Jr., in Lebanon in 1976
The trailer of the amateurish, US-made video opens with scenes of Egyptian security forces standing idle as Muslims pillage and burn the homes of Egyptian Christians. Then it cuts to cartoonish scenes depicting the Prophet Muhammad as a child of uncertain parentage, a buffoon, a womanizer, a homosexual, a child molester and a greedy, bloodthirsty thug.
The trailer was uploaded to YouTube by Sam Bacile, whom The Wall Street Journal’s website identified as a 52-year-old Israeli-American real estate developer in California. He told the website he had raised $5 million from 100 Jewish donors to make the film. ‘‘Islam is a cancer,’’ Bacile was quoted as saying.
The Israeli government moved quickly to distance Israel from Bacile. Yigal Palmor, the spokesman for the Israeli Foreign Ministry, said in a telephoned statement that ‘‘Nobody knows who he is. He is totally unknown in filmmaking circles in Israel. And anything he did — he is not doing it for Israel, or with Israel, or through Israel in any way.’’ Palmor also called Bacile ‘‘a complete loose cannon and an unspeakable idiot.’’
The video gained international attention after it was publicized in the Egyptian media and a Florida pastor began promoting it along with his own proclamation of Sept. 11 as ‘‘International Judge Muhammad Day.’’
In a statement Tuesday, the pastor, Terry Jones of Gainesville, Fla., called the film ‘‘an American production, not designed to attack Muslims but to show the destructive ideology of Islam’’ and said it ‘‘further reveals in a satirical fashion the life of Muhammad.’’
He said the embassy and consulate attacks illustrated that Muslims ‘‘have no tolerance for anything outside of Muhammad’’ and called Islam ‘‘a total deception.’’
Jones inspired deadly riots in Afghanistan in 2010 and 2011 by first threatening to burn copies of the Quran and then burning one in his church. He also once reportedly hanged Obama in effigy.

No comments:

Post a Comment